Thursday 2 February 2012

Poop happens...

One of the most rewarding perks of mother hood, is body fluids.  Wait...nope, I was mistaken.  It's not rewarding at all!  
This week has been a lot of fun with my son falling ill with some type of virus.  Thankfully (knock on wood), my children do not get sick often.  And even more thankfully, they have yet to have the flu.  That's right, in 6 years, other than baby spit up, I have only had to deal with barf, once.  Thank the Lord, as I hate vomit more than anything!  That was until this week. Whatever this virus happens to be, has attacked my son's chest and he was coughing uncontrollably (it's not whooping cough). Pair that with breakfast....and you can take a wild guess what the outcome was. However, he frankly hates to eat these days, so it could have been much worse.  
I do believe firmly that we are either typically barfers or poopers.  In other words, I think that if you are prone to throwing up, you most likely aren't prone to having the poops, and vise- versa. Unless you have a food allergy, that's different all together. 
When my kids get sick, it's always the same thing. Fever,chest cold, the shats.  It never deviates. It just changes in severity. As a result, I unknowingly signed up for poop cleanup for all the rest of this mother hood thing. 
Given the choice between the two, I'll choose poop every time. Although, I will admit that I am totally content to NEVER have to do it again in my life.
Early in parenting, my husband and I made a deal.  There are pink jobs and blue jobs in our house.  
Garbage=blue.....vomit=pink. Heavy lifting=blue....poop=pink.  Get the jist of it? Now, granted my hubby works damn hard for this family, and never turns me down when I have a ridiculous request of him.  He happily does it, with out question.  After all "Happy wife = Happy life"!  But if it is something that has physically come out of our children, it's game over.  He can NOT cope with it. In all fairness, I do think the ability to deal comes with mother-hood. I can't deal with someone else's child's body functions, but my kids could seriously poop right on me, and I wouldn't be phased. And they have.....
I must admit that there are times that I thoroughly enjoy watching him squirm with disgust when one of the kids needs him and I am unavailable.  He also get the same joy, I'm sure when I am forced to do things like, clean poop out of our daughters bathing suit at the beach.  Had I known these little perks would go along with the job, I don't know that I would have signed up quite so eagerly.  But I suppose that gross goes with life.  My husband has been forced to clean up bags of garbage after dogs have gotten into it, and I think that's way worse than a little bathing suit poop.  
So I suppose my lesson for today is that with age and mother hood, I have learned how to take the gross stuff in stride and not worry too much about the small things.  We all have a little poop in our lives, now and again, and no matter how much you hate it, you have to deal with it. Literally and figuratively. I realize how far I have come in the world when my child barfs at the breakfast table, and I am calm about it.  I realize how funny it is, when my daughter poops down her leg, and says "I just don't know what happened"! in her little four-year old voice.  These are the strides in life that we handle with grace and dignity, up to our elbows in mother hood. Ahhh, mother hood.  On the bright side, my babes are still young enough that this is just a stepping stone.  Too soon I will have to deal with dating, high school, and the drama of adolescence.  For now, I am happy to own my poop...I suppose that's the purpose of life, isn't it?  To "own" your own poop, and to realize that no matter how to try to avoid it....poop happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment