Saturday 9 June 2012

Yard Sale Hangover...

Whew! The Prettiest Yard Sale Ever, is finally complete and boy am I pooped! Although I called it a day, a bit earlier than everyone else, I feel that it was successful in it's own right. My pocket isn't quite as heavy as I was hoping that it would be, but I did unload some rather large items that I am thrilled to not bring back into my house! There is something VERY freeing to eliminate the clutter that has been filling my house slowly over the last few years.  However, I did learn a valuable lesson today....if your goal is to make money, DO NOT bring your husband to help you sell.  As a customer was happily walking to his car, arms full of our T.V, my hubby was grinning like a school boy. When asked what he sold it for, he replied..."Oh, I gave it away! I just wanted that crap gone". He even asked if he wanted him to carry it to the guys car. But I guess the happy ending is that the gentleman was thrilled, and hubby was just as happy to see it go. 
Happily, the girls that I worked with today were super successful, and the items that they worked hard on creating, were more beautiful in person than I even imagined! The rain held off, and I was able to chat with some pretty fantastic ladies. I came home with most of my baby items, but because they are already priced and organized, the kids swap should be a huge success. 
It was a great chance to see how I can market myself better for next time, and where we should be advertising. Although it didn't sell, I had some heart warming compliments on my crib. Which made me happy, because I worked my butt off on painting and distressing it. It turns out that a crib is no small undertaking! A great lesson for next time.  
So, the lesson today is that even though it's a lot of work, sometimes a yard sale can be rewarding. Sometimes the gain isn't financial, but emotional. It was time to cleanse and renew, and today was a great start! I just signed myself up for a Heritage Fair in town, and must admit that I am looking forward to the opportunity to test my foot in the water and see what I can accomplish. My crib was a great experiment, and will be coming along with me to the market, much to my hubby's excitement!  He just loves moving things....hahaha.  
I will keep you posted on my journey of creation over the next few weeks, as I set my sites for the market. I hope your day was just as inspiring and joyful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment