Thursday 1 December 2011

The Happiness Journey...

It has recently occurred to me, that there is a fairly good chance that I'm not happy.  Let me rephrase that. I'm not "actively" pursuing happy.  How many of us are?  How many of us find ourselves blurry in the lines between who we were, and who we are trying to become? Since this blessing of motherhood has bestowed itself on me, I  find myself lost in the madness that is daily life, routine, schedules, and everything in between. Good or bad.  I started asking myself lately....am I happy? Happy...happy? What the hell is happy? There are many things I do know I am.  Blessed, loved (mostly), needed, thankful, grateful, humorous, frumpy....but happy? Not sure if I have really taken the time lately to confirm if that is something I am.  
Mother hood kicks your ass (and nobody warns you about it)
That's right ladies. I hate to be the elephant in the room (I'm not talking about my ass, we'll discuss that later), but why as a culture of educated, intelligent, smart, wise women, are we not really willing to share the nitty gritty about motherhood? Now don't get me wrong, it's the most rewarding thing you will ever do in your lifetime, and I cherish every single thing that my children have taught me.  However.....let's be honest here, I would have really liked to have known that I was going to run the risk of peeing my pants every time I jump on a trampoline, or take a yoga class.  Had I known, I might of taking the chance to jump on many a trampoline, pee free up to childbirth.  That's right girls....a good sneeze has the potential to become a severely embarrassing shopping trip.  Remember that next time you miss a pill.  So many women concern themselves with weight gain during pregnancy....how about worrying a little bit more about what happens to your boobs.  Had I known the day would come that I would have to roll them up to get them in my bra, I probably would've taken the girls out for one last victory spin....and bid them farewell. 

So it has gotten me to thinking.  Would I really be happier if I had that body back? What would I do with it if I could take 23 year old me out for a spin again?  Firstly, I'd totally grocery shop naked...but that's beside the point.  I would appreciate and LOVE the clothes that I had in my closet.  The clothes that I wore with confidence. Don't get me wrong, I still wear my clothes with confidence, but it's easy to do that in sweat pants.  They're fairly forgiving.  I do mourn the loss of my relationship with Le Chateau. There was a period of time where we were really good friends.  I think 23 year old me would be sad if she knew what was coming.  However, I will admit, while I'd be naked at Superstore, I would absolutely be nicer to the people waiting on me.  And not just because I'd feel obligated because of the nakedness, but truly be kinder to people.  If there is nothing else I've learnt in my short 32 years, it's that you truly never know what others are going through.  Although there was a period of time where I will admit, I thought I was pretty hot....and I was a total biotch.  That's right.  I'm owning it.  I was a mean nasty person.  Selfish, really (OK I still am). However, I learnt a very valuable lesson from my amazing grandfather.  "Treat people as you want to be treated". We can all get caught up in our own bs...(especially me), but at the end of the day, I try to treat people with the kindness and respect that they deserve. There are SO many people that I am grateful for on this journey called life, and have made me the person that I have become.  I hope that is a lesson that I can pass on to my children.  "Karma's only a bitch if you are". Yes, it's taken 32 years to figure it out.....damn, I still have so much karma coming my way...don't I?  
So I suppose that on this journey to find true happiness, I can add one lesson to the list.  It makes me happy to know that my children are being taught how to treat people with kindness. There you have it.  I found a small bit of happiness right here, and I didn't even know it was there;) Thanks Bump....lesson learnt.   

No comments:

Post a Comment