Sunday 13 May 2012

A Mothers Wish

I stumbled upon this quote last week. The honesty of these words brought me to an abrupt halt. It brought to light for me all the times that I have passed over my children's words, too busy to stop and listen to the the unimportant story that they have to tell. Too often I have caught myself "checking out" of a conversation too quickly. It forced me to question myself. My answer from my heart said "no". That is the amazing power of words. They are honest, if you let them be. The can be the motivation for change. So today on this 6th Mothers Day for me, I have taken the time to pause and reflect.
From the moment that test says "positive", it is impossible to know the momentum or magnitude that your life will change forever. It changes "who" we are as women, and becomes "what" we do as mothers. We spend every moment focused on the lives and safety of these small people. And each day when we go to sleep, we worry about what the next stage will bring. We are trying to raise great members of society, who give back and change the world. We pray they are not ax wielding murderers or nut jobs that hurt children or animals. I know that we will forfeit sleep, food, showers, and almost anything else to ensure that our children are happy and taken care of. That is the true plight of a mother. 
Today I was happy to spend my time in the yard. Soaking up the sun-shine and planting our small garden. My hubby surprised me with a tent for our patio, so we can enjoy the yard a bit more this summer. The topping on the cake for me however was the hand made necklace that my little man made for me at school. I adore it. Even my hubby went all out, and gave me the book I have been dreaming of. Anyone who knows me, knows I have an adoration for Tori Spelling. Sometimes I watch her show and laugh my ass off at how similar we are. Well today I got my little hands on "celebraTORI." That's right! A party planning book! Could it be any more perfect? 
So on this Mother's Day, I hope that all you hard working, kind, generous, amazing....but tired mommies out there are counting your blessings, and loving the job you have been blessed with. Is it always sunshine and rainbows? Surely not. But of all the jobs, in all the world, I can't imagine a more important one. We are being given the chance to change the world by sharing conscious words, honest answers and love in our hearts. Tonight when you put your little ones...or big ones to bed, let them know that they are loved. The most amazing quote that I share with my children the most, is from a book.
You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” 
Dr. Phil once said, that every night before he went to bed, he would tell his sons "of all the little boys, in all the world, how did I get so lucky to get you?" 
I do this regularly. I am always amazed by how my little man's face lights up. It reminds me again, the value that words have on our children. 
I try to count my blessings as often as possible. I am going to be more conscious of the words I say to my children, and the way I listen to them. That's the mommy I want to be. That's the legacy I hope to leave. I want my words to have value. I want my children's words to have value. So if nothing else changes, perhaps the kindness that we speak will linger with someone, and change their world. The words I shared with you today changed mine. I hope they impact you to do the same. I send a huge thank you to all you mommies out there. With out you, this world of ours would be a sad and lonely place. 

Well, a mother, a real mother is the most wonderful person in the world. She's the angel voice... that bids you good night, kisses your cheek, whispers "sleep tight"
-Wendy Darling, Peter Pan


No comments:

Post a Comment