Sunday 6 May 2012

Pink Poodle Party- Part One

I am one of those people who tends to go a little over the top when it comes to my children's parties. I LOVE me a good party, and there are so few occasions to have an excuse to throw one.  Other than milestone birthdays, weddings, showers and graduation, when else do we really get to do it? Since having children, I have decided that this is one of those reasons to throw a party. Now I realize that this is more for me, than it is for them.  There is something really satisfying for me, in putting together a theme and creating an event around it.  I think I have an illness.... But honestly, more than anything, I really just want to have a great reason to get my friends and loved ones together, because with the craziness of life, more often than not, we will always schedule in a good party!
Quite a few months ago, I asked Miss C, what she wanted her birthday party theme to be.  In her 3 year old voice, she announced...."doggies".  Ummm? Doggies? What am I suppose to do with that? So I started putting my brain to work. I was on the computer, when I pink poodle appeared. I thought she was going to jump out of her skin. "That one! That doggy right there! I want that for my party".  And so the Pink Poodle Party Planning began. I myself, have always had a love affair with Paris. It is one of my "dream" travel places, and my mom has been, in recent years. So with my "google" in hand, I began to research. The food, the decor, the style, the color scheme.....and here we are, less than a week away and I am almost ready!
Now I am well aware that I probably look like a total nut job. I've had people exclaim with excitement, "Oh, you're daughters party...is it her sweet 16?" The look on peoples face when I say, "no...4", is priceless. 
Do I go overboard? Yes. Do I appear to be mentally unstable? Yes. Is it ridiculous for a child's birthday party? To some, I would say yes. To me, it is moments and memories I am making. When I was little, my mom was the most amazing party person ever. I always had the best birthdays. Those memories are some of my favorite. The birthday that always stands out the most, is when she didn't make a cake at all. She scooped out Vanilla Ice Cream onto a platter, covered one third in Caramel, one third in Chocolate, and one third in Marshmallow, then poured sprinkles all over.....and handed us each a spoon. To this day, it is my favorite birthday memory. And don't think for a second, that I'm not going to pull an all out, Vintage Ice Cream Social, in years to come. Oh hell ya I am! 

As I have gotten older, I have discovered that the creative side of me needs an outlet. Sometimes it's scrap booking, sometimes it's refinishing furniture or creating beauty from junk. Sometimes, it's an over the top birthday party for my children. I'm not trying to brag, or out do other mom's. I'm not searching for recognition, or applause. I am hoping that on that special (all be it, coordinated) day, that the people I love the most are there to eat, laugh and share in the joy of friendship and family. Because one day, when my little girl is all grown up, and she is planning a party for her child, I hope that she looks back with fondness and love and remembers..... "my mom knew how to throw one hell of a party".

Stay tuned for next week's part two!

No comments:

Post a Comment